17thyear of Shakespeare in the Vines. . .the ultimate romantic comedy A Midsummer Night’s Dream set to enchant Bellarine winery, Leura Park Estate is set to be transformed into the magical land of Athens in two nights of mystical enchantment as the renowned Essential Theatre Company presents Shakespeare’s classic romantic comedy, A Midsummer Night’s Dream on Friday 15th and Saturday 16th February 2019.
Gates open at 5pm with the performance commencing at 7pm on both nights.
Tickets are available only via GPAC and cost $45
Click here to buy
A Midsummer Night's Dream is undoubtedly one of Shakespeare’s most popular and loved romantic comedies. It is famous throughout time for its romance, magic and mayhem.
After hosting sold-out Shakespeare in the Vines events since 2011, Leura Park Estate is delighted to once again welcome the talented Essential Theatre Co to present such a fabulous concept over two nights.
The performance is staged within the barrel shed and winery enclave which ensures weather protection for patrons whilst featuring a terrific working winery ambience amidst a backdrop of vineyard, barrels, dams and undulating paddocks.
A wide range of onsite food options is available on the nights to suit all budgets and tastes. Wine, beer and cider will also be available for purchase before and after the performance.
Post-performance, there will be live music until late on both nights where guests get to meet and mingle with the cast - it’s definitely shaping up to be a magical couple of nights.
Essential Theatre has been entertaining Australian crowds with the wonderful words of Shakespeare for the past sixteen years. They are excited to celebrate their 17thyear in 2019 with this much loved production, offering audiences a clever and entertaining interpretation of this engaging script.
A Midsummer Night's Dream – about this classic romantic comedy. . .
This masterful piece deals with the universal theme of love and its complications. The plot focuses on three parallel stories: the trials and experiences of two sets of lovers camping in a magical forest, the world of the Fairy King and Queen and their elves, and a group of rough craftsmen attempting to stage a production for the wedding of the Duke of Athens.
Hermia is in love with Lysander, but her father wants her to marry Demetrius. To escape the arranged marriage, she and Lysander elope into the woods. Demetrius follows them, pursued by Helena, who nurses an unrequited passion for him. A love quadrangle develops among the young lovers when mischievous Puck plays Cupid.
"The course of true love never did run smooth"
Meanwhile, a group of rough craftsmen rehearse a play in the woods and pretty soon everyone gets caught up in the mischievous world of fairy magic controlled by the warring King & Queen of the Fairies, Oberon & Titania.
Magic, action, love and humour are the ingredients for this unforgettable spell.
This work is widely performed around the world, and no wonder - it's about the world's most popular pastime, falling in love.
However Puck warns us that falling in love can make fools of us all.
Love is crazy, love is mad. Will love win out in the end?
Tickets are now on sale and only available via GPAC
5225 1200, 50 Little Malop Street, Geelong or by clicking here
“high energy, tight ensemble, dynamic … don’t miss this”
- * * * * 5 stars, Richard Flynn, Adelaide Theatre Guide
“ What a treat; a delightful tight and fast paced production.”
Stage Whispers, 2018
Behind the scenes – Shakespeare in the Vines
About Essential Theatre
Essential Theatre Artistic Directors Amanda LaBonte and Sophie Lampel are very proud to be celebrating their 17th summer of Shakespeare in the Vines, a tour of Shakespeare's classics to some of Australia’s most spectacular wineries and gardens. This program has grown from strength to strength ensuring the longevity of this ambitious and entrepreneurial Victorian theatre company. These passionate theatre makers re-interpret the classic texts for modern audiences delivering vibrant and engaging productions. Whether you’re new to the work of Essential Theatre or a regular audience member you are guaranteed a night to remember.
“I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was”
(Act 4 sc 1)
Mark Wilson (Romeo & Juliet and Macbeth)is delighted to be returning to the company to direct Shakespeare’s most popular comedy. Mark has a wealth of experience performing and directing Shakespeare, and brings a keen eye to this enchanting and romantic tale. We also are very pleased to welcome experienced designer, Laura Hawkins, to the company to weave her magic amongst the land of Athens.
Terms and Conditions of Entry
Leura Park Estate and Essential Theatre’s presentation of Shakespeare’s
Friday 15th & Saturday 16th Feb 2019
By purchasing tickets, patrons accept and agree to the following terms and conditions;
- Only the valid ticket holder will be permitted admission to the show. All adults and children entering the venue must hold a ticket.
- Persons under 18 must e accompanied by a ticket holding parent or legal guardian at all times
- Strictly no BYO alcohol beverage is to be brought on this site. This will be enforced by security at the entry gates.
- A wide selection of food and beverage can be purchased on site. Food and beverage will be available from 5.00pm. Strictly no BYO food is to be brought on site
- Shakespeare in the Vines is staged undercover and is a rain or shine event. If it rains the show will go on. The show will only be cancelled if conditions are deemed as dangerous. Updates will be made on the Leura Park Estate website.
- If the event is cancelled, Leura Park Estate will not be liable for any expenses, costs, loss or damage. Whether direct or consequential that may be incurred as a result of cancelled accommodation, transfers, hire charges or by any other circumstances or matters.
- Shakespeare in the vines seating comprises of both chairs and hay bales. It is recommended patrons bring a picnic rug or blanket to sit on, if they feel hay bale may irritate them in any way. Space is limited so please keep others in mind when securing your spot.
- No on-selling of tickets is permitted. Tickets are non refundable.
- All patrons entering will be subject to bag searches.
- Persons are prohibited from entering with the following items
- Umbrellas, tables, chairs and tents
- Animals (except for authorised guide dogs/companion dogs)
- Any other object that the promoter considers inappropriate.
- Persons may be refused entry for the following;
- Any person deemed to be intoxicated and /or disorderly or who does not comply with a request to conduct a bag search or does not comply with a request form the organiser, security or regularity.