Presented by Essential Theatre and Leura Park Estate
Friday 11th and Saturday 12th February 2022
Celebrating the 20th anniversary season of Essential Theatre’s Shakespeare in the Vines
Leura Park Estate and Essential Theatre are proud to present the annual Shakespeare in the Vines with the fabulous As You Like It to be hosted on Friday, February 11 and Saturday, February 12, 2022.
After yet another year of uncertainty and challenges, it is more than fitting to celebrate together with one of the most delightful comedies of all time. Under the setting sun, Essential Theatre will transform the stunning Leura Park Estate vineyard into the wondrous Forest of Arden. You are invited to be whisked away into a world of mischief and fun.
Leura Park Estate has hosted sell out Shakespeare in the Vines events since 2011 and is delighted to be able to host this dynamic event in 2022. Strict Covid-safe procedures will be adhered to including patron QR code registration, double vaccination checks and a reduced patron capacity from pre-2020.
The 2022 performance will again be staged within the Leura Park Estate Barrel Shed and winery enclave which ensures weather protection for patrons whilst featuring a terrific working winery ambience. There will be a range of onsite food options on the nights to suit all budgets and tastes. Wine, beer and cider will also be available for purchase before and after the performance. Post-performance, guests get to meet and mingle with the cast.
“All the world’s a stage”
As You Like It brings all of Shakespeare’s best ideas together in one masterful play of love, betrayal, mischief, and foolery, and features some of the most iconic and memorable Shakespearean lines ever spoken.
Rosalind has had a big day. She’s seen her first wrestling match, fallen in love with the winner - who is then banished from court - and then her jealous uncle, Duke Frederick, banishes her from court too! Disguised as a boy, she sets forth into exile with her best friend, Celia, to find her father, the former Duke, and her new love, Orlando, in the wild and wondrous Forest of Arden. Along the way, they meet a motley crew of characters and use the freedom of disguise to test the strength of “love at first sight”.
Led by experienced theatre makers Amanda LaBonte & Sophie Lampel, Essential Theatre re-interpret classic texts for modern audiences delivering vibrant and engaging productions. They strip back any preconceived ideas as to how Shakespeare “should” be presented and create productions accessible and enjoyable for all. Experience has taught them how to juggle inclement and unpredictable weather, noisy cockatoos, stray dogs and most importantly how to celebrate the brilliant words of William Shakespeare.
This outdoor theatre event is guaranteed to delight. We welcome you to sit back, top up your glass, indulge in local produce and be immersed and enchanted by this marvelous 20th anniversary Shakespeare in the Vines production!
Tickets are now on sale, selling fast and available only via Geelong Arts Centre - Click here to buy
Terms and Conditions of Entry
Leura Park Estate and Essential Theatre’s presentation of Shakespeare’s As You Like It
Dates: Friday 11th and Saturday 12th February 2022
By purchasing tickets, patrons accept and agree to the following terms and conditions;
- Only the valid ticket holder will be permitted admission to the show. All adults and children entering the venue must hold a ticket.
- Persons under 18 must be accompanied by a ticket holding parent or legal guardian at all times
- Strictly no BYO alcohol beverage is to be brought on this site. All dietary requirements are catered for. This will be enforced by security at the entry gates.
- A wide selection of food and beverage can be purchased on site. Food and beverage will be available from 5.00pm. Strictly no BYO food is to be brought on site
- Shakespeare in the Vines is staged undercover and is a rain or shine event. If it rains the show will go on. The show will only be cancelled if conditions are deemed as dangerous. Updates will be made on the Leura Park Estate website.
- If the event is cancelled, Leura Park Estate will not be liable for any expenses, costs, loss or damage. Whether direct or consequential that may be incurred as a result of cancelled accommodation, transfers, hire charges or by any other circumstances or matters.
- Shakespeare in the vines seating comprises of both chairs and hay bales. It is recommended patrons bring a picnic rug or blanket to sit on, if they feel hay bale may irritate them in any way. Space is limited so please keep others in mind when securing your spot.
- No on-selling of tickets is permitted. Tickets are non refundable.
- All patrons entering will be subject to bag searches.
- Persons are prohibited from entering with the following items
- Umbrellas, tables, chairs and tents
- Animals (except for authorised guide dogs/companion dogs)
- Any other object that the promoter considers inappropriate.
- Persons may be refused entry for the following;
- Any person deemed to be intoxicated and /or disorderly or who does not comply with a request to conduct a bag search or does not comply with a request form the organiser, security or regularity.